Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

AJAX: manually calling wym.update()

Support forum for WYMeditor.

AJAX: manually calling wym.update()

Postby karlmdavis on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to integrate WYMeditor with an Ajax-using application and am having trouble with getting access to the update() method. I have a button that performs an Ajax submit and also has "wymupdate" as its class, but unfortunately the submit code seems to be processed before the wymupdate code.

I have tried adding the following Javascript before my Ajax submit, but it seems to not work:
Code: Select all
for(wym in WYM_INSTANCES) { wym.update(); }

In Venkman, I see it throw an "wym.update is not a function" error.

Due to the framework I'm using, I'm unable to manipulate my Ajax submit code, other than specifying Javascript to be run before or after it. Any ideas how I can fix this problem?

Thanks!
Karl
karlmdavis

Solved!

Postby karlmdavis on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:10 am

Well, I guess I'm lacking in my knowledge of Javascript. I still have no idea why the above code doesn't work, but the following does:
for(i=0;i<WYM_INSTANCES.length;i++) { WYM_INSTANCES[i].update(); };

Hope this helps someone out!
karlmdavis

Postby jfh on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:09 pm

Actually this is the safest way to enumerate an array in JS.
jfh
Site Admin

Postby rtomlinson on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi,

When I use this code, it will update the first instance, and then outright end the loop, not updating any of the other instances.

If I try to iterate backwards through the WYM_INSTANCES array like so:

for(i=WYM_INSTANCES.length - 1; i >= 0; i--)  { WYM_INSTANCES[i].update(); };

it tells me that WYM_INSTANCES[i] has no properties on the first time through the loop.

I've got a test page here. You can see this issue by clicking the "Update test" button at the bottom of the page.

Note that I have another issue as well that is unrelated to this particular issue. I'll post that in another thread that is relevant.

Thanks, I really hope to get this working, this looks like the best editor out there.
rtomlinson

Postby rtomlinson on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:15 pm

I have this history of agonizing over things for days, finally posting a question to a forum, and then figuring it out shortly thereafter.

I didn't explicitly declare the "i" variable, so somewhere in the update function it was getting it confused with its own "i" variable. Declaring it solved the updating problem.
rtomlinson

Return to Support