Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

A loss of data while shifting nodes with a WYMeditor within

Support forum for WYMeditor.

A loss of data while shifting nodes with a WYMeditor within

Postby dor on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:29 am

Hi,

I've built a small class in Javascript that changes the HTML nodes (i.e. HTML tags) location. I call it "Nodes Handler".
The nodes moving is done with the replaceChild() function and the insertRow() function (both JS functions of course).
The HTML structure is as follows:

Code: Select all
<table id="myTable">
   <tr><td>
      <table><tr>
         <td class="delete">Remove</td>
         <td>
            <textarea class="wymeditor">data...</textarea>
         </td>
         <td class="up">Up</td>
         <td class="down">Down</td>
      </tr></table>
   </td></tr>
</table>

( I didn't write the JS code of the Nodes Handler class because that I didn't think it's needed. If you want me to post it, no problem, just write and I will post it + a sample that show how it works).

When using a simple textarea (not a wymeditor textarea), the script works OK and the data is saved.
But when using the WYMeditor instead of the simple textarea, the data is lost after changing the location of the editor (moving it up or down in the DOM tree).

I want to keep this feature of the Nodes Handler in my system, but this problem really bugs me.
Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Dor.
I'm not an English speaker, so sorry for my English mistakes (if there are any) or misunderstanding that caused by my lack of knowledge in English.
dor

Re: A loss of data while shifting nodes with a WYMeditor within

Postby dor on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Two more things I've noticed:

1. While shifting nodes with a WYMeditor within, the data is NOT lost.
The WYMeditor is actually resetting itself, and therefore the text within is replaced with the initial text (The text that the WYMeditor had from the first place, when the page was loaded).

2. How can I dynamically add a WYMeditor to the page via Javascript/DHTML/DOM/whatever ?
Is it possible to add by the ID of the WYMeditor or it's parent ID or something...?

Thanks,
Dor.
I'm not an English speaker, so sorry for my English mistakes (if there are any) or misunderstanding that caused by my lack of knowledge in English.
dor

Postby jfh on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:46 pm

A test page would be great.
I also suggest taking a look at jQuery, which provides these kinds of DOM manipulations.

About 2), you can for example dynamically insert a textarea with class 'wymeditor' into the DOM, and then initialize it with $('.wymeditor').wymeditor();
jfh
Site Admin

Postby dor on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:47 pm

I've made a test page.
I hope it's not too large...

A test page would be great.
I also suggest taking a look at jQuery, which provides these kinds of DOM manipulations.

I thought so, but I prefer to make one on my own.
About 2), you can for example dynamically insert a textarea with class 'wymeditor' into the DOM, and then initialize it with $('.wymeditor').wymeditor();

Well... It duplicates the WYMeditor that are already existing on the HTML document.

You'll see it all on the test page.
Just make sure to include (in the same folder of the test page) the "wymeditor" folder and "jquery" folder, otherwise the Jscript won't work...

The test page is attached to my message.
A link:
WYMeditor_NodesHandler.html.rar
The test page.
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 342 times

Tell me if you want me to clarify something.

Thanks!
Dor.
dor

Postby jfh on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Dor,
I've added a test page which uses jQuery UI sortable, so you can move up/down WYMeditors with your mouse (and also dynamically add WYMeditor instances).
Is this what you want?

You need the latest code base in order to test it locally (svn up -r 527).
jfh
Site Admin

Postby dor on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:15 am

I've added a test page which uses jQuery UI sortable, so you can move up/down WYMeditors with your mouse (and also dynamically add WYMeditor instances).
Is this what you want?

Wow! :)
It sure looks great, but I think it would be difficult to integrate it in my code.
As you can see in my test page, I need to synchronize the up/down shifting with the proper element in another table.
I'm not sure how do to it with jQuery.
Moreover, the moving elements have also different plain texts (besides the WYMeditor) in them. I don't know how to do it with jQuery...

The final solution should include the structure as in the test page I've uploaded.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what files I need to add?
Is the jQuery sorting feature requires additional Javascript files?
Or you meant that I need the latest WYMeditor version? The WYMeditor version I have is: 0.5-alpha-1

Thank you for your help,
Dor.
dor

Postby mr_lundis on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:19 pm

dor wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what files I need to add?
Is the jQuery sorting feature requires additional Javascript files?
Or you meant that I need the latest WYMeditor version? The WYMeditor version I have is: 0.5-alpha-1

Thank you for your help,
Dor.

You will need both the latest svn revision of WYMeditor and the jQuery UI files.

WYMeditor download (SVN Checkout):
http://www.wymeditor.org/en/download/

The jQuery UI page:
http://ui.jquery.com/
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Return to Support