Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

beginners question

Support forum for WYMeditor.

beginners question

Postby noskule on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 pm

hi all
I tried out this editor on the demo pages. It works great, except if I use tables. If I create some paragraphs and then inserting a table I couldn't manage to include a paragraph after the table. No matter if I click beside or below the table. The table is ind "edit-mode" and inserting a paragraph below is not possible.

Anyone else experienced this problem? How do I solve this?

thanks for any hints
nos
noskule

Re: beginners question

Postby mr_lundis on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi nos and welcome to the WYMeditor forum!

I've confirmed this issue in Firefox (3.0) and opened a ticket at the trac site. Other browsers such as Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari/Chrome are not affected.

The current table handling in WYMeditor isn't that rock solid at the moment. Tables are used very rarely these days in modern websites, so the table handling hasn't been that highly prioritized.
Another thing that complicates this issue is how the different browsers handle tables - it varies a lot - thus getting things right in all browsers is somewhat challenging. Help with additional testing in this area would be highly appreciated.

With that said, why do you need to use tables? Perhaps there's some alternate way to achieve what you're trying to do, without the use of tables.

Cheers ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby noskule on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 pm

hi lundis
I thinking of using it on a wiki/cms where I'm working on. So, I'm looking for a wysiwyg editor which focus on a clean content structure rather than a many visual features. I want define the visual look via css. This also helps to keep a consistent look among different authors. WYMeditor seams what I'm looking for.

About the use of tables, it may not so important for website layouts, but still elementary for creating content like articles, blog-posts and so on.

Currently I'm on linux and only firefox and konqueror available. But I will test on windows.

Wymeditor seams not to work with konqueror at all, can you confirm that?

grz nos
noskule

Postby mr_lundis on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Regarding the tables, as of my experience they're used rarely on regular websites. On very techy sites or wikis you sometimes need to use tables, as you said.

And to answer you question, WYMeditor won't work in Konqueror as it lacks a working designMode implementation. See Konqueror bug #48302.
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby balduin on Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 am

mr_lundis wrote:Tables are used very rarely these days in modern websites, so the table handling hasn't been that highly prioritized.

Well, you forget that there was, is and always will be an important use for tables even on modern websites: TABLES. That means all kind of listings with more than one or two collumns like timetables, pricelistings, listings of events and so on.

I used the wymeditor in a CMS for a customer who wants to use tables for a listing of events with date, name and location (3columns). Everything worked fine until he wanted to edit the tables by his own. He tried it with Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7 and IE7 on WindowsXP but it was impossible to add or delete columns and rows and in Firefox he even could not edit the content of the tables. He also tried it in the wymeditor-OnlineDemo - same Problems. I tried it on MacOS with Firefox & Safari - no Problems at all.

Can anybody help me?
balduin

Postby mr_lundis on Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

balduin wrote:
mr_lundis wrote:Tables are used very rarely these days in modern websites, so the table handling hasn't been that highly prioritized.

Well, you forget that there was, is and always will be an important use for tables even on modern websites: TABLES. That means all kind of listings with more than one or two collumns like timetables, pricelistings, listings of events and so on.

I've absolutely not forgotten that, tables are to be used for tabular data. What I meant was that since WYMeditor does not use tables for presentation/layout like in most WYSIWYG editors (and poorly made web sites) that area hasn't received much love...

balduin wrote:I used the wymeditor in a CMS for a customer who wants to use tables for a listing of events with date, name and location (3columns). Everything worked fine until he wanted to edit the tables by his own. He tried it with Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7 and IE7 on WindowsXP but it was impossible to add or delete columns and rows and in Firefox he even could not edit the content of the tables. He also tried it in the wymeditor-OnlineDemo - same Problems. I tried it on MacOS with Firefox & Safari - no Problems at all.

Can anybody help me?

He should absolutely be able to edit the tables. Whats lacking in WYMeditor table wise is primarily a solid cross browser table editing UI, and there's also some problems with inserting content below the table. I'm afraid I cannot be of much more help unless I have some more details. But if you are able to edit the tables then maybe its not the editor directly thats at fault, I might be that your client is having trouble using the editor, which would be totally understandable. :?

Oh, by the way, table editing works best in Firefox as it draws these little inline editing controls unavailable in other browsers.

Cheers!
mr_lundis

Return to Support