Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

Using the WYMeditor under the MIT license

Support forum for WYMeditor.

Using the WYMeditor under the MIT license

Postby dor on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi !

In your home page it's written that:

WYMeditor is dual licensed under the Open Source MIT and GPL licenses.

So, I wondered, since that I would like to sell my CMS product that uses your WYMeditor - may I do it under the MIT license only?

The jQuery library you use, enables it's users to choose between the MIT & GPL licenses as well. (The user may choose the license that is best suitable for him)

Is it applies to your software?
May I choose to use the WYMeditor under the MIT license only, without the GPL?

(Please write a clear answer so that I won't have any doubts)

Thanks!
Dor.
I'm not an English speaker, so sorry for my English mistakes (if there are any) or misunderstanding that caused by my lack of knowledge in English.
dor

Re: Using the WYMeditor under the MIT license

Postby mr_lundis on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 pm

The dual-licensing means you're free to choose whichever of the two licenses that suit you best. Thus you're free to re-distribute WYMeditor with your commercial software, as long as you include the MIT license.

The MIT license: http://files.wymeditor.org/wymeditor/tr ... icense.txt

A little side note:
If you are to sell software including WYMediotor, a donation (or two) to support the future development this project would be greatly appreciated. Or even better, help out some yourself with coding, documentation, just hang here in the forums, or whatever suits you.

Cheers ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby dor on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm

If you are to sell software including WYMediotor, a donation (or two) to support the future development this project would be greatly appreciated. Or even better, help out some yourself with coding, documentation, just hang here in the forums, or whatever suits you.

Of course!

I want to add the jQuery too, so I asked them too about the license. (I asked if the plugins and the jQuery UI are also distributed under the MIT license)
It'll take me some time to get to know the jQuery syntax & WYMeditor structure in a way that I'll be able to help with coding.

And about my project - It'll take me a lot of time to finish it, but when I'll finish it and sell, I'll be happy to donate to the project to maintain it & to thank (in a more realistic way) the developers & contributors teams.

Thanks again Mr.lundis !! : - )
I'm not an English speaker, so sorry for my English mistakes (if there are any) or misunderstanding that caused by my lack of knowledge in English.
dor

Postby mr_lundis on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 am

You're welcome!

As far as I understand both jQuery and jQuery UI are dual-licensed under the GPL and the MIT license, so the same terms should apply there. Third party plug-ins on the other hand might have completely different licensing.

If you want to get involved in the development, we're currently working on a major overhaul of the WYMeditor code for version 0.6. I'll try to publish some more information shortly.

Cheers!
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby dor on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:54 pm

If you want to get involved in the development, we're currently working on a major overhaul of the WYMeditor code for version 0.6. I'll try to publish some more information shortly.

really? neat :D

I thought that I need to be a guru or something to be able to edit the editor :s

I think that I know JS pretty well, also I understand how to use JS classes etc.

Please send me a message (email or pm) about how can I help with the coding. I think I'm good in algorithms stuff :)

10X,
Dor.
dor

Return to Support