Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

Allowing accented character entry without changing the lang?

Support forum for WYMeditor.

Allowing accented character entry without changing the lang?

Postby ironfroggy on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Our default language is English, but we have a lot of content in many other languages that need entry.

The work around is either to change the language for WYMeditor to 'es' or some such, or for writers to copy-and-paste some accented characters into the editor, at which point it lets them type them in themselves.

Is it possible to allow this entry without changing the language?
ironfroggy

Re: Allowing accented character entry without changing the lang?

Postby mr_lundis on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum!
What language pack you decide to use has no effect at all on what type of content you can enter into the editor. I'd suggest you to take a look at (and maybe change) your current input language/keyboard layout in your operating system instead.

Cheers! ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby ironfroggy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:06 am

This isn't the behavior I'm seeing. If I use 'en' I cannot enter accented characters, unless the field is prepopulated with non-ASCII text, or I paste some in. I have this problem and so does my client, who is a native spanish speaker with a spanish-set OS. If I change the language from 'en' to 'es' there are no such entry problems. If I'm misunderstanding something, please clarify. I'd love to be proven wrong.

You can see this at our site http://faircompanies.com/
ironfroggy

Postby mr_lundis on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 am

Hi again!
I have no problem what so ever entering accented characters into the editor no matter what language I use. When you say you're changing the language, do you men the system language/keyboard layout (using the language bar if you're under Windows) or do you mean the actual translation of WYMeditor?

As I said before, what translation of WYMeditor you use will have no effect whatsoever on user text input, because you can not change the system language from within the browser.

Cheers ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby ironfroggy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:29 pm

I did realize I had a false-positive on what I thought was a fix, so I'm still dealing with this. I still get the behavior. Can't type accents still and neither can my clients (who own the site). We can type them if the field already has accented characters in the initial value, or if we paste them in, and what might be the most interesting way I found to trigger being able to type accents: if I click on the WYMeditor body, then elsewhere on the page, and back to the editor, I can now type them into an otherwise empty field just fine. When it fails, my <mod+' a> strokes are just typing 'a instead of á
ironfroggy

Postby ironfroggy on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:02 pm

We've found that this has been working all along outside of Linux Firefox. Opera on Linux? Fine. Firefox and IE on Windows? Just dandy. Firefox on Linux? No accented characters for us!

Is there some more specific area I should be looking at, given this extra information?
ironfroggy

Postby mr_lundis on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:20 pm

I still cant confirm this - entering accented characters using Firefox works just fine (tried under Ubuntu 9.04 and Fedora 10). I'm afraid I don't know why you're experiencing this issue, but as far as I cant tell it's WYMeditor related.

Have you tried to type any accented characters some other designMode based editor (such as TinyMCE or FCKEditor) or just plain text fields? Does it work?

Cheers! ;)
mr_lundis

Return to Support