Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

Lots of really old Trac tickets

Support forum for WYMeditor.

Lots of really old Trac tickets

Postby tilzinger on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:44 pm

It makes me think that there isn't much active development going on, which would be unfortunate b/c WYMeditor is really good. Would hate to see it die.

I can confirm that tickets http://trac.wymeditor.org/trac/ticket/189 and http://trac.wymeditor.org/trac/ticket/187 suggested fixes work, and I've implemented them into my local copy. Just wondering why such easy fixes like this haven't been addressed in the latest release/nightly? I also wonder how many other easy fixes there might be that haven't been addressed.

The Firefox 3.6 cursor bug is perhaps the most noticeable and annoying bug, but it could strictly be a Firefox issue. I was wondering if it was possible to refocus the cursor when you click on it the first time. E.g., the page loads, you click on it, but it quickly focuses on another element on the page, then brings the focus back to WYMeditor, because if you click outside of WYMeditor, then click back, the cursor appears.
tilzinger

Re: Lots of really old Trac tickets

Postby duw on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Yep, I posted a translation a few months ago. No reply. No reply to forum question. No reply to PM admin. I think this is my last post here, without active development, I'm going back to Spaw2
duw

Postby tilzinger on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 pm

I've used WYM on a lot of projects, and is my main editor of choice for all my EE projects, and it's performed very well, even for a 0.5 release. Competitors like CKeditor are very actively developed, which leaves me wondering which one I should be using.
tilzinger

Postby mr_lundis on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:27 pm

tilzinger wrote:It makes me think that there isn't much active development going on, which would be unfortunate b/c WYMeditor is really good. Would hate to see it die.

I can confirm that tickets http://trac.wymeditor.org/trac/ticket/189 and http://trac.wymeditor.org/trac/ticket/187 suggested fixes work, and I've implemented them into my local copy. Just wondering why such easy fixes like this haven't been addressed in the latest release/nightly? I also wonder how many other easy fixes there might be that haven't been addressed.

I'll take a look at those tickets.

tilzinger wrote:The Firefox 3.6 cursor bug is perhaps the most noticeable and annoying bug, but it could strictly be a Firefox issue. I was wondering if it was possible to refocus the cursor when you click on it the first time. E.g., the page loads, you click on it, but it quickly focuses on another element on the page, then brings the focus back to WYMeditor, because if you click outside of WYMeditor, then click back, the cursor appears.

The FF 3.6 issue is fixed now.

duw wrote:Yep, I posted a translation a few months ago. No reply. No reply to forum question. No reply to PM admin. I think this is my last post here, without active development, I'm going back to Spaw2

Your translation is in the trunk now.

tilzinger wrote:I've used WYM on a lot of projects, and is my main editor of choice for all my EE projects, and it's performed very well, even for a 0.5 release. Competitors like CKeditor are very actively developed, which leaves me wondering which one I should be using.

Those of us who work with WYMeditor (just me, at the moment :? ) are doing so in our spare time. Both CKeditor and TinyMCE are big commercial projects - with employees working with the development. To expect us (me) to provide commercial grade support during the limited time I have available - and at the same time expect the development to move forward is unreasonable. Thats not to say that the WYMeditor project is dead - although some help with development, maintenance, or anything else would be appreciated. :wink:

I hope I've managed to make things a little clearer.
Cheers! ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby tilzinger on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:59 pm

I understand that you're a one man show right now. I wish I had time to help, but I just don't. Everything you're doing is appreciated. It's not like WYM isn't usable in a production environment anyway. I've used it on 10+ projects, and the only real noticeable bugs I've encountered are the two I mentioned in the first post, and the FF 3.6 bug. Speaking of which, where are the latest files at? The SVN repo has a last modified date of Sep 2009 :(
tilzinger

Postby tilzinger on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 am

Nevermind about the SVN date. I did a checkout and see your latest changes.
tilzinger

Postby mr_lundis on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:00 pm

I thought that jfh would've fixed the repo browser by now... I'll look in to it... But as you said, svn access still works, as well as the Trac source code browser.
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby juniorplenty on Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 pm

mr_lundis, what's the general condition of trunk? It looks like there are a lot of great changes and fixes, but no proper release in a year. Are you in the process of any kind of teardown and rebuild, or is trunk generally ok (obviously with testing on my end.)
juniorplenty

Postby juniorplenty on Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 pm

NVMD, answered my own question as current nightly doesn't run :-(
juniorplenty

Postby mr_lundis on Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 am

The trunk (and by extension the nightlies) should be fine. However you can not run the examples locally due to browser security policies.

I'd actually recommend using the latest trunk over the rc1 as it contains some critical bug fixes. If it would've been up to me we would've pushed an rc2 several months ago, but I don't have access to the server. If you want to, you could drop jfh a line and ask him to make a new release, but don't hold your breath.

However, we're in the (very slow) process of migrating to Git, and GitHub, which would prevent these kind of dead locks in the future.

Cheers! ;)
mr_lundis

Return to Support