Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

Development of an object-handling interface for WYMEditor

Discuss features, code, contributions, ideas, suggestions, ...
For bugs, patches and feature requests, please post on the Trac:
http://trac.wymeditor.org/

Development of an object-handling interface for WYMEditor

Postby evildmp on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi everyone.

I am the web officer at Cardiff University School of Medicine (Wales, UK). We are building a new web CMS using Django. I have opted to use WYMEditor for our system, because of the good habits it encourages in users.

We need to extend WYMEditor however, and we are seeking competent developers with the skills to work with us to create what we need.

The basic idea is this: the editor needs to handle only two kinds of content, text, or 'objects'. An object is anything that is isn't text created by the user - an image, some code, a movie, an item from a database - anything. The editor doesn't need to know how to handle an object's content. All it needs to know is where in the text an object is placed, and what other editor can be used to edit the object if required.

In other words, objects are handled through a plugin interface. For a new kind of object, a new plugin is required.

This helps keep the basic text editor both simple, because it will only ever need to handle text and objects, and completely extensible, because plugins could be created to handle any kind of object you like.

Any code produced for us will be released as open source. I would be very pleased if other users and developers of WYMEditor could find a use for these ideas, and if they could go towards the development of WYMEditor itself.

I have a short PDF document outlining the idea and some of our requirements, with graphics to illustrate (it's bigger than the 200KB upload limit fo the forum). Please feel free to email me, or find me on the IRC channel, if you would like to discuss this further with me.
evildmp

Re: Development of an object-handling interface for WYMEditor

Postby anton_babushkin on Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 am

Hi,

I like the idea you bring up of having an object-handling interface, with plugins to support their implementation.

I'm in the process of building a complete custom front-end for a CMS that we use at my workplace and was thinking of something very similar.

I have emailed you to check out the PDF in greater detail.

Cheers.
anton_babushkin

Postby mr_lundis on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 am

Hi!
I just wanted to inform you that this feature is on the to-do list for version 0.6.

Cheers! ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby stebbi on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:52 pm

Bump. Is there anything that I could help with?
stebbi

Postby mr_lundis on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm

Hello stebbi!
There's always things to help out with! If you look at the 0.6 version of WYM it's still more or less in the planning stage. I'm trying to summarize all the the thoughts and ideas, as well as write down a set of coding guidelines to prevent 0.6 from turning in to a structural mess. I'll post these documents (or whatever you like to call them) as soon as possible.

If you want to get started right away you could start to think about (and document) how the place holder system should work. Post your results as a feature request ticket at the WYMeditor Github page.

Cheers! ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Return to Developers