Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

enhancement to class list

Discuss features, code, contributions, ideas, suggestions, ...
For bugs, patches and feature requests, please post on the Trac:
http://trac.wymeditor.org/

enhancement to class list

Postby dustins on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 pm

just some things i've implemented which I believe add to the UI since wym styling is so dependent on the classes…

Only show possible classes.
Filter classes list to only show those that could apply. Right now you do a prefix naming scheme to help people identify relevant container classes. Just don't show the other options, it saves space, is more intuitive and we can abuse that prefix names then :)

Show selected state.
Show what classes are applied, most likely by highlighting. If you have multiple classes, even with the visual styling feedback, it may not always be apparent which classes are being applied.

Families/Mutual Exclusive
So lets abuse that prefix naming. I'm not showing anything before ':' in the name anymore because we don't need to if you are only showing what is possible to be applied to that container. Now we can set it so that if two styles have what I'll call a family, then only one of those can be on at a time.

-----------

A great use case of how these work together is shown in some of your examples. If you apply, a hidden note class or important class to a paragraph, you can't apply the other. Not horrible except the other one can't be applied and we don't know why. There is nothing telling you that both can't be applied at the same time, it just looks like it isn't working.

Now this is more of a wysiwyg example, but I don't think it is unreasonable to offer alignment, but the proper way to do it is with classes. If they apply a right class and then a center, if the right class isn't removed (and they can't see it is on by it showing the selected classes), then depending how the CSS is written, the center will be overridden even though it was applied. Again, it looks like it is just not working when it is.
dustins

Re: enhancement to class list

Postby mr_lundis on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Hello! I'm really sorry for not replying sooner! I like the ideas you've presented, and I'd like to see them in future version of WYMeditor. I would love if you could release your code.

Cheers! ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Return to Developers