Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

about 0.6

Discuss features, code, contributions, ideas, suggestions, ...
For bugs, patches and feature requests, please post on the Trac:
http://trac.wymeditor.org/

about 0.6

Postby Nico on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi,

I just discovered the git repository for wymeditor 0.6, with some code propositions for this new version.
We can see the structural approach you prepare for 0.6 is really completely different from the actual, and it looks great. A lot of work to do, but a great improve I think.

Maybe this new repository should be more visible. This would show people that the project is moving and that Wymeditor will continue to get better and better :) Adding a link in the "More info" page on the web site could be a good start no ?

As I really like the concept of this project, I'd like to contribute more efficiently, and as I'm a web developer and as we use Wymeditor in my company, I can probably find some time to work on it.
Than, how can I start helping ?
If I want to commit some code suggestions, I'll have to use Git. But I'm not used to it (I usually use subversion). Is there a good "Git client" on windows ? and on Linux, a GUI interface ? (I'm on Windows at work and on Linux at home)

ciao,
Nico
Nico

Re: about 0.6

Postby sbwoodside on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:59 am

Care to share the git URL? Is it not on github? I did a search there before I forked from SVN for my flash modification and didn't find anything.
sbwoodside

Postby sbwoodside on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:02 am

OK I see it now ... but ... mrlundis -- can you explain why you didn't import the history from SVN? It's a bit disconcerting not being able to see previous commit history...
sbwoodside

Postby mr_lundis on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:15 pm

My WYMeditor repo on GitHub is more or less unofficial, it's more of a 0.6 playground at the moment. I am however working on some documentation and coding guidelines for 0.6 which will be posted somewhat soon - we don't want 0.6 to turn into a structural mess due to lack of a shared structure/coding standard. If you look at the current code base each piece of the editor is written differently, and some parts are unnecessaryly complex making things hard for developers.

When I'm done with those documents, the "real" coding part of the development will start, at which point we'll probably set up an official WYM account or something and do thing more properly. And regarding the code that's in the repo - don't think much of it, the final architecture of 0.6 will most likely differ from what's in there at the moment...

Cheers! ;)

Edit: All kind of help with the 0.6 development is appreciated. It would be great if you'd like to gather all the ideas that have been posted all around on the WYMeditor sites (forum, trac, GitHub, etc), summarize them and post them as feature requests for 0.6 or on a wiki page or something. Right now there are so many different people with so many different ideas. ;)

And regarding Git, take a look at GitHubs guides section - there's some great guides and documentation there (for both Windows, Linux and Mac.)
http://github.com/guides/home
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Postby sbwoodside on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:37 am

Something that's pretty high up on my list is the look & feel. I think WYM would get even more traction if it looked cool...I remember seeing one version for some CMS recently that was really sleek and simple --- moved the Containers to the top --- but now I can't find it.

You could probably scam some better buttons from somewhere or get someone to make them for you.

Also, Resizable, and URL entry in-window using CSS/javascript (see StackOverflow for both).

OH yeah.. and support for embeds :-)

--simon
sbwoodside

Postby dustman on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi there,

It appears that 0.5's plugins are not supported within the wysiwyg drupal module. I'm looking forward to such support in 0.6 and I would be a willing tester (I have a simple plugin idea I wish to develop so this would be a good fit for me).

Coming from a docbook and latex background (which implies I don't mind writing documentation), a wym-type embedded editor is a really important offering. Thanks for your work!

t.
dustman

Postby mr_lundis on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:03 pm

sbwoodside wrote:Something that's pretty high up on my list is the look & feel. I think WYM would get even more traction if it looked cool...I remember seeing one version for some CMS recently that was really sleek and simple --- moved the Containers to the top --- but now I can't find it.

You could probably scam some better buttons from somewhere or get someone to make them for you.

Also, Resizable, and URL entry in-window using CSS/javascript (see StackOverflow for both).

OH yeah.. and support for embeds :-)

A new look an feel is already on the to do list, embeds will be enabled though the placeholder system and there's already at least 2 different resizable plugins. A couple of links to those StackOverflow threads would be appreciated though. ;)

dustman wrote:Hi there,

It appears that 0.5's plugins are not supported within the wysiwyg drupal module. I'm looking forward to such support in 0.6 and I would be a willing tester (I have a simple plugin idea I wish to develop so this would be a good fit for me).

Coming from a docbook and latex background (which implies I don't mind writing documentation), a wym-type embedded editor is a really important offering. Thanks for your work!

t.

Jean-François Hovinne (jfh here in the forum) is maintaining the drupal module - why don't you drop him a line? And out of curiosity, what kind of plugin are you thinking of developing?

Cheers! ;)
Jonatan Lundin - designer, developer and forum moderator. You should follow me on Twitter!
mr_lundis

Return to Developers