Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

Feature Request: Revision Control and other wants :)

Discuss features, code, contributions, ideas, suggestions, ...
For bugs, patches and feature requests, please post on the Trac:
http://trac.wymeditor.org/

Feature Request: Revision Control and other wants :)

Postby cj7hawk on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:26 am

Hi, fantastic editor, thankyou. I really have found it useful for a combined forum/blog/wiki/website amalgamation I'm creating.

Anyway, would it be possible at any time to include "revision control" - ie, whatever changes you make to the default text is included as "noted changes" -

eg, deleted text and added text might show up as something like "<deleted-text="hello world"><added-text="Goodbye World!"> - And that this would be "enforced" throughout the document so changes could be easily tracked.

I know that's probably not the ideal format, but I hope it gets the message across.

If there was someway to add this as a option then it would make collaborative work easier. I could write a page, someone else could edit it then I could review their edits and decide what I wanted to keep and what I wanted to delete. I could also show up deleted words in a different color and added words in another color entirely.

A variation on this idea would be a "comment" like an "add note" that wraps comments in a different field/color so they can be seen, or perhaps even separated from the main view.

David.
cj7hawk

Re: Feature Request: Revision Control and other wants :)

Postby arnorhs on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:30 am

Good idea David.

But I think it seems like the kind of thing you could implement yourself without any of the core in WYMEditor. Besides, there aren't going to be that many people who will want this feature anyways.

Good luck
arnorhs

Re: Feature Request: Revision Control and other wants :)

Postby cj7hawk on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Perhaps - There are certainly ways to do it manually, though I was more thinking of a way to enforce it, so that you could set "track changes" on a document before it goes into the editor, without the person editing it being able to turn it off...

Which would make it very useful for collaborative documents, since after that you could implement back-end controls to allow changes to be reviewed.

I've been thinking of adding watermarks automatically to each paragraph prior to sending to the editor, then running a "diff" on it, allowing a program to track changes to a known section.

But it would be a nice feature to have embedded too... :)

David
cj7hawk

Return to Developers