Forum closed. New forum available at http://community.wymeditor.org/

Replace buttons/functions - examples?

Support forum for WYMeditor.

Replace buttons/functions - examples?

Postby randylok on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:06 pm

I really don't care about subscript, superscript, and some of the other default toolbar buttons. But I really DO want some "headers" (h2, h3, etc) and other basic tags.

What is best practice for removing unwanted buttons? Edit the "toolsItems" section of jquery.wymeditor.js?
Last edited by randylok on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
randylok

Postby randylok on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:18 pm

Ok, so now I see the "containers" dialog and found the missing "heading" tools I wanted.

But it is not intuitive for newbies. Most people are used to using the tools on the tool bar, including buttons like H2. My end users just want a toolbar with the buttons available for formatting their content.... Like the other popular editors or word processors. Having some tools in one place and some in another is confusing to them.... Especially when the tools in the "container" sidebar are invisible until hovered on.

Any simple best-practice way to put some of the "container" functions as buttons on the toolbar?

How about moving the "containers" and "classes" sidebar boxes so they become pulldowns on the button bar?

Or let me simplify it to the most direct question that would satisfy my need:

How can I take one of the "container" functions (such as "Heading 2") and put it on the toolbar as a button next to the others??
randylok

Postby rostr on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:33 am

I kind of agree with you. My users had the same problems when I was showing them how to use the editor.

Might be something to think about for future versions.
rostr

Postby dixon_ on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 am

Must stick in a word here.

The way the toolbar is set up is totally correct in my meaning, and is similar to all other text editors out there.

Where do you find a texteditor that provides a toolbar button for H2? "Containers" are containers and shall be kept separate, as in Microsoft Word and Works, as in TinyMCE, as in FCKeditor as in... you name it. Toolbar buttons only processes the text inside of containers. Does that make sense?

I can agree with you that some controls are overkill for the average user. If you want to customize the look and feel of the toolbar you do that by creating a new skin, and applying some CSS to that.

Here do you have a preview of my own customized skin: Clean skin
dixon_

Postby jfh on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:14 am

Hi,

I've added integration examples to the package to help you get started integrating and customizing WYMeditor.

Nightly build available at:
http://files.wymeditor.org/wymeditor/tr ... tor.tar.gz

I guess example 08 will interest you :)

Any feedback welcome.
jfh
Site Admin

Return to Support